After spending a year in lockdown, the need for outdoor amenities and activities has become a main focal point for many luxury home buyers this year. According to a recent article in Forbes, the effects of the COVID-19 pandemic have made many homeowners acutely aware of the importance of having an outdoor space to relax and reconnect with family and with nature.
Homes with outdoor spaces can be hard to come by in a big city like Philadelphia. But at Maxwell Realty, we have a number of homes available with quiet, private outdoor decks, terraces, balconies, and rooftop patios perfect for entertaining or escaping the rush of city life.
As many home buyers begin to search for a new home this spring, those interested in selling a luxury home in Philadelphia need to have the right outdoor amenities in order to stand out from other homes on the market today.
From swimming pools and outdoor kitchens to fireplaces to waterfall features, if you’re considering selling a luxury home in Philadelphia, consider adding these four trending outdoor amenities our Philadelphia realtor recommends adding to your home for a better resell.
Trend #1: An Inground Swimming Pool
A swimming pool can bring much enjoyment to you and your family in the summer months. But it does come at a cost. On average, you could be paying between $35,000 and $55,000 depending on size, shape, and degree of customization. But will it be worth the expense?
The answer is yes. Many realtors say the number one outdoor amenity that home buyers are looking for in 2021 is a pool or a space for a pool. In fact, just a 14×28-foot inground concrete pool could add between 5 to 8 percent of the value of your property.
Keep in mind that adding more amenities to your pool will only increase the value. So not only keep the pool properly maintained, but adding features such as a well-designed patio, an adjacent deck, or a shade structure such as a pergola, will only benefit you in the long run.
Trend #2: Outdoor Living Areas
Another trend many Philadelphia luxury home buyers are looking for this year is to bring their indoor living space outside. A recent survey by the National Kitchen & Bath Association (NKBA) has found that there is a 65% increase in overall outdoor living project interest, with outdoor kitchens being the highest planned living area by those surveyed.
Instead of a blank backyard, many home buyers want a fully functioning outdoor space, where they can barbecue with family and friends, enjoy a moment of peace in their spa area, or let their children romp and play with the family pets in their own play area.
Not only will it bring enjoyment to the family for years to come but will improve a home’s resell value — just adding a patio can recover up to $6,525 of the cost to build, creating a return on investment of just over 100%.
A patio is not the only living area you can add; in fact, there are various outdoor amenities you can add to your home, such as an outdoor kitchen with fully stocked, top-of-the-line appliances; water features such as a pondless waterfall; outdoor dining areas; or an outdoor living room where guests can gather and relax under the stars.
Trend #3: Year-Round Gathering Areas
Much like outdoor living areas, having space in your yard for gatherings can greatly increase the resell value of your home. But living in Pennsylvania does have its drawbacks. Cold and wintery weather can sometimes ruin outdoor living. This is where an area that can be used year-round can help the chances of selling your luxury home.
Some options to keep in mind when creating a year-round gathering area:
- Outdoor fireplaces or fire pits: Fireplaces and fire pits can increase the warmth of an area and improve the ambiance of an outdoor space. It helps the resale as well — even a DIY fire pit can increase your return on investment by 80%.
- Heating elements: Adding an infrared heat lamp or heated furniture to your porch or patio costs little to no money but adds value to your home.
- Privacy screens: These screens can not only give you the privacy a home buyer is craving but will protect them from the wind and cooler weather.
- Integrated entertainment options: Outdoor speakers or TVs built into outdoor structures can liven up your outdoor space.
- Weatherproof furniture: These pieces of furniture can withstand even the worst winter weather storms.
- Weather protection: Retractable roofs, pergolas, and gazebos can not only protect from the rain and snow, but also from the blazing sun during the summertime.
- Temporary enclosures: These enclosures can protect from very severe weather while still getting the benefits of the great outdoors.
Trend #4: Proper Landscaping
A home’s landscape is usually the first impression a buyer has about a home. The yard is an extension of a home, and as such should be designed with comfort and relaxation in mind. By creating a safe, relaxing area with these four landscaping tips, you can improve your curb appeal, which can lead to a faster sale.
According to the National Association of Realtors, proper landscaping not only increases the desirability of a home to a buyer but with regular maintenance, a seller can recover an estimated 267% of the cost of upkeep at the time of sale.
Keep these tips in mind when improving your home’s landscaping:
- Lawn maintenance: Make sure your lawn is mowed and free of debris
- Bush and tree trimming: Cut back any overgrown bushes, shrubs, and trees to keep a clear boundary between the lawn and any walkways.
- Colorful flowers: Adding a touch of color by using flowers can make a neutral-toned home pop.
- Native plants: Choosing invasive, exotic plants that can disrupt your natural environment; but native plants can bring pollinators and wildlife, improving the ecosystem of your neighborhood.
Sell Your Luxury Home With Maxwell Realty Co.
If you’re considering selling your home this spring, you need to have the right Philadelphia real estate company with you to get you the best possible price for your home. Maxwell Realty has been working with luxury home sellers and buyers throughout Philadelphia for over 50 years. We know this business well and with over $3 billion in real estate transactions in this city alone, we can get you into the home that you deserve. Contact us today for more information.
Philly Homes for Sale and for Rent with Outdoor Space
If you’re in the market for a home or apartment and outdoor living space is on your wish list, we can help. At Maxwell Realty we can help you find a home where you can enjoy your own urban oasis. Contact us today to learn about condos, houses, and luxury apartment buildings in Philadelphia’s hottest neighborhoods.